Wednesday, November 3, 2010

YIKES! I got lost....Newsflash, it happens a lot...

Okay, drove down Folsum Street and ended up at the Capitol Building. Mess up or message from God? You decide.

Anywho, I walked from I Street and 3rd Street to the Capitol Building - about a mile or so from the hotel. I passed the ObamaBot Central Office for Sacramento a half a block into my trip.

Not one to let silly political stuff ruin a perfectly fine excursion...

It was a beautiful California day and I loved exploring the building. The Capitol has a floor of working museum rooms, plus the halls have kiosks for each of the counties in California. Some of the displays were VERY well put together. Did I take pics? I was going to bore y'all with the stats and pics of the County Kiosks, but flash f'ed em up. A couple of the museum pics turned out. (I took them before I was told flashes degraded the paints in the exhibits.) I will try to upload at my next stop, but Blogger seems to be having issues and I need to get going.

I seemed to have missed the Governor. He was in LA taking care of some "family" business. But his office staff was very helpful and encouraged me take a few pictures of the reception area to Auh-nold's office. They didn't turn out so well. Eh, maybe I will become better aquianted with the upload procedures tonight.

Back to the travelogue:

Room 105 is super interesting - well, it will be until September 2011. The Parks Department has an exhibit highlighting the State Parks and some of the history of our parks, plus they were giving out maps of the parks. There is an shadowbox with ranger and lifeguard patches from 1902. One of the quotes that resonated with me was from Newton Drury in 1951: "People have the right to use the parks, but no one has the right to use them up."


Room 103 - the Secretary of State office was decorated in 1902 style. I did get a couple pics. Again with Blogger being a butt.

The County Shadowboxes in the hallways was amazing. It brought back memories of conversations with Tuviya, who used to have a map of the counties with pins in the counties in which he had cases. There were only THREE of the 58 counties that had not hired him. Danged if I can remember which three they were, though. Some of the memorable cases from each county came to mind (like Allaway in Orange County) and things that we did in various places (Los Angeles, San Luis Obispo and Orange Counties were our main stomping grounds, but we did meet in Kern County.)

Anyway, T was such a book hound and used to talk about the ag business and how important it is to California, and even the United States. If you look at the crops that are grown in the Central part of the state, you will be agog at how we have become used to foods around the country that are shipped out DAILY to all parts of the world. Stanislaus County alone produces from $7.2 to $16.8 BILLION in produce. Then there is Los Angeles County that has the 19th largest economy in the WORLD. Amazing the stuff I learned stopping to read the little signs.

Okay, I need a shower and to get out of here. The Redwoods are calling me..

No comments:

Post a Comment